Aniline and methanol toxicity after shoe dye ingestion.
A 39-year-old woman intentionally ingested Amberes shoe dye containing both methanol and aniline. She subsequently developed life-threatening methanol poisoning, methemoglobinemia, hemolytic anemia, and sulfhemoglobinemia. Treatment involved methylene blue infusion, emergent hemodialysis, fomepizole therapy, and blood products. Multiple toxicities can occur after ingestion of shoe dyes.
Published In/Presented At
Katz KD, Ruha AM, Curry SC. Aniline and methanol toxicity after shoe dye ingestion. J Emerg Med. 2004 Nov;27(4):367-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2004.07.002.
Medicine and Health Sciences
Department of Emergency Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine Faculty, Toxicology Division