Restenosis or occlusion after carotid endarterectomy: a survey with ocular pneumoplethysmography.
One hundred seventy-three carotid endarterectomies in 141 patients operated on during a 12-year period were surveyed both clinically and by ocular pneumoplethysmography (OPG)-Gee. Seventeen (12%) patients had positive OPG examinations. Three arteries (1.7%) demonstrated symptomatic recurrent stenosis in accord with earlier reports. An additional 8.1% of the operated arteries had asymptomatic recurrent stenosis. A total recurrence rate of 9.8% was found. Because of the considerable silent recurrence rate we have found, we recommend annual screening by OPG. Angiography and repeated endarterectomy are then used when appropriate.
Published In/Presented At
Kremen, J. E., Gee, W., Kaupp, H. A., & McDonald, K. M. (1979). Restenosis or occlusion after carotid endarterectomy: a survey with ocular pneumoplethysmography. Archives of surgery (Chicago, Ill. : 1960), 114(5), 608–610. https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.1979.01370290058011
Medicine and Health Sciences
Department of Surgery